Sunday 23 November 2008

A Foo Fighter in Brum

jackson-united-018


Last Thursday I headed down to the Dragon Bar, above the Barfly to photograph the show by Jackson United, the band fronted by Foo Fighter's guitarist Chris Shiflett. I was shooting the gig for Birmingham Live and the review should go up soon. First on were Stratford's The Culprit. From the song and a half I saw of them, they were very good, but I'll reserve a proper judgement until I get the chance to see them properly.


the-culprit-005
the-culprit-008
the-culprit-006


Next up were Birmingham's very own Beat Union, who have supported the headliners over in the States. Their punky oi-oi type music isn't exactly my favourite style, but their performance was tight, slick and very professional. I can't see any reason why these guys don't go far.


beat-union-003
beat-union-014beat-union-007


I'll admit that the only reason I wanted to shoot this one was because they are fronted by a Foo Fighter, and I didn't stay for the whole show because I had a train to catch. However, from what I saw, Jackson United seemed like a great live band, full of energy and very at ease with the crowd. Rightfully, they didn't play any Foos stuff, not that it would have worked with their own punk/surf style.


jackson-united-009jackson-united-010
jackson-united-012


Given that the photo pit at the Dragon Bar was tiny, I was rooted to one position for the whole time I was shooting - hence no decent pics of the bass player. However, Shiflett is the main attraction, and I got plenty of him to put in my portfolio.


jackson-united-023
jackson-united-007jackson-united-008


Three songs done and I was off and on my way back to New Street for my train home. I'm looking forward to my gigs this week - I've hopefully got Thunder on Thursday night in Wolves, and then on Friday I'm shooting Simple Minds at the NEC. As always, pics will be up here as soon as I can get through them all! See you again soon.


jackson-united-001jackson-united-003
jackson-united-004

No comments: