Tuesday 11 November 2008

Music Live 2008

trade-show-006
trade-show-004trade-show-039


Last Friday I was at the NEC all day reviewing Music Live 2008 for Birmingham Live. I had a great day, playing guitars and watching bands for hours on end - brilliant!


trade-show-008trade-show-007
trade-show-011


I got to play on my dream guitar - a green PRS like Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge uses...VERY nice!


trade-show-012
trade-show-025trade-show-026


As well as the trade show, there were also a number of bands playing throughout the day, and I photographed the lot of them. First up were Riot:Noise. The Bristolians did OK, but were nothing special.


riot-noise-006riot-noise-005
riot-noise-008


Second on the bill, Electric City, whose generic indie-ness was not at all my type of thing.


electric-city-002
electric-city-003
mexicolas-001


After that, I took a bit more time to wander round and see some more of the trade show...


trade-show-002
trade-show-023
trade-show-029


Then it was back into the performance area for great set from local boys Mexicolas, whose set I really enjoyed. Very stoner-esque groovy rock - awesome!


mexicolas-010
mexicolas-014
mexicolas-002


Then, we were treated to a very special acoustic performance from Blues legend in the making, Joe Bonamassa, which was, quite simply, stunning.


joe-bonamassa-007
joe-bonamassa-011joe-bonamassa-006


Then it was back to the trade show, where I was confronted with the hideous sight of a whole range of Spongebob Squarepants musical instruments - oh dear oh dear oh dear.


trade-show-033
trade-show-034
trade-show-043


I then decided to take in a drum clinic conducted by Robin Guy, which was fantastic, if a little pounding on the ear drums!


robin-guy-003robin-guy-001
robin-guy-004


Then it was back to the stage on last time for the final, and probably least impressive, band of the day, Essex's Koopa.


koopa-006


I then did a bit of celebrity, well rock star, spotting - meeting Dave Mustaine and Shaun Drover, both of Megadeth fame.


trade-show-038
trade-show-042


Then it was back off to enjoy the last hour of the show. I thought that the pure black cymbals were pretty damn cool...


trade-show-027
trade-show-014
trade-show-028


And that was it, a great day out. Stay tuned for another post with my pictures from Guitarfest, which was held in the evening after my day at Music Live. It'll be on here soon!


mexicolas-003

No comments: