Tuesday 16 September 2008

3 Stone Gods and a Happy Welshman

extras-002

So, it was back to the Barfly last Saturday for another great night of rock. This time it was a gig organised by Emma Scott of Kerrang! Radio fame featuring four awesome bands, which I was reviewing for Birmingham Live. You can read my review here. First up it was Telford-based NewBreed, who put on a good show despite being a very late addition to the bill. They're making a name for themselves in the USA at the moment so keep an eye out for the name in the future.


newbreed-004newbreed-003
newbreed-008newbreed-001

Second on the bill were local boys The First Seven, who were probably the find of the night. They combined pop-rock stylings with some heavy grooves and experimental jammed parts that, all mixed together, worked really well. A great vocalist as well. Another name to keep an eye out for.

the-first-seven-002
the-first-seven-005the-first-seven-006

Next up were the excellent Them Is Me, featuring two former members of Reef. This was the second time this summer that I'd been able to catch the group live, and they've already improved so much in between shows. Well worth checking out.

them-is-me-015them-is-me-028
them-is-me-024

I was also lucky enough to bump into Gary and Jack (the two who were in Reef) before the show, and they kindly agreed to have their pic taken - cheers guys!

extras-001
them-is-me-043them-is-me-033

Just in case you're curious, no they don't do any Reef numbers - and with good reason too. Their self-titled, debut album is more than strong enough to provide them with enough songs, and by the sounds of the new number aired here - the future is just as bright for Them Is Me.

them-is-me-044them-is-me-040 them-is-me-046

And so onto the headliners - the

Stone Gods, featuring Dan Hawkins and Richie Edwards who were both part of The Darkness until its unfortunate demise a couple of years ago. This was the first time I'd even heard a Stone Gods song, and I have to say that I was very impressed. Their AC/DC-esque sound will certainly go down well when they support Airbourne this November.

stone-gods-007

stone-gods-008stone-gods-022

The Stone Gods performance was already going to be something of a special show given that the gig was a one-off, but it was made even more special at the last minute. Due to the departure of original Gods drummer Ed Graham, the vacant drum stool was filled, for one night only, by former

Stereophonics stickman, and general top bloke, Stuart Cable. As you can see here, he had a blast.



stone-gods-001stone-gods-050


stone-gods-052

The only down point of the gig was that, due to the curfew imposed by the Barfly, we were limited to just 45 minutes from our headliners. Hopefully they'll be able to come back soon and play for much longer.


stone-gods-018
stone-gods-035stone-gods-019

So there you have it, another night of top notch music for me to shoot. This music photography business is rather good fun!

stone-gods-016stone-gods-048
stone-gods-041

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was an awesome gig, loved all four bands!
Great photos!!!