Monday 29 September 2008

Going Down...In Flames

in-flames-020
in-flames-008in-flames-036


Last night I was back at the Birmingham Academy, this time to shoot the Swedish metal heavyweights In Flames for the revamped and relaunched Birmingham Live website. I wasn't reviewing this time, just snapping, so I'll post a link to the review when it goes live. Thanks to the wonderful Sunday service from Virgin Trains I managed to miss the first band - Sonic Syndicate, but thankfully I was there in time to get the band I really wanted to see - the mighty French four-piece, Gojira.


gojira-010gojira-045
gojira-048


I'd seen Gojira once before, at the 2006 Download Festival. They blew me away there and they blew me away agin last night. So much power, so many clever time changes, while still remaining as tight as Angelina Jolie's shorts in Tomb Raider. Awesome.


gojira-031
gojira-022gojira-027


I think I deserve a free guitar from Jackson for this next image!


gojira-043gojira-030
gojira-015


Gojira's set was pure class, and for my money they were way ahead of the headliners in terms of quality of performance and music. It is surely only a matter of time before they really explode in popularity.


gojira-038
gojira-051gojira-005


Then it was In Flames' turn, starting from behind a white curtain with a slow-burning number. During the opening song, I realised just how much I've gone off them since the "Clayman" era. For me, they seem to have found a song formula that sells records and have stuck to it. As such, I did my three songs, then went home. Disappointing, but hey, that's what happens with some bands.


in-flames-049in-flames-042
in-flames-043


The second song of their set was a real pain to shoot, as the only lights used were the music photographer's sworn enemy - red. Luckily, I did manage to get some cool black and white images.


in-flames-029
in-flames-032in-flames-024


Ok I'll try to stop bitching about In Flames for the rest of this post now - credit where it's due, they are doing incredibly well for themselves and have certainly rocketed since I first saw them supporting Slipknot back in 2002, and their vocalist Anders Friden is a great frontman. This next shot reminds me slightly of that iconinc, London Calling shot of the Clash, just without an instrument to smash!


in-flames-010in-flames-048
in-flames-033


I'm not really sure what else to write here - good job I wasn't reviewing the show! I'll just settle for...here's some more pics from the gig - that'll do!


in-flames-044
in-flames-018in-flames-015


At the time of writing, this is my last gig that I'm down to shoot until the end of October, so if the blogging becomes a tad less frequent between now and then, that's the reason. However, between now and Xmas, I'm covering bands like Airbourne, Bring Me the Horizon, Alter Bridge, Hot Leg, Logan, Stone Gods, Black Stone Cherry, The Answer, Biffy Clyro, Fred Zeppelin and hopefully Status Quo for either Birmingham Live or Powerplay Magazine, so come the festive period my portfolio should be looking quite healthy indeed! I'm also giving my second music photography talk to Bedworth and Exhall Camera Club tomorrow night, having been invited back after giving a similar talk last year, so that's something to look forward to in the short term. Until next time, ciao for now.


in-flames-038in-flames-005
in-flames-050

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Photographs