Friday 24 October 2008

Black Kids

black-kids-022
black-kids-021black-kids-011


Wednesday night I was back at the Birmingham Academy to shoot Black Kids for Birmingham Live. Support came from British four-piece Magistrates, and here's some shots of them.


magistrates-028magistrates-030
magistrates-006


Now I won't lie, I didn't like Magistrates' music one bit - it just isn't the kind of thing I would ever choose to listen to. However, they seemed to get a good reception, and I'm sure indie fans would appreciate them a lot more than I do.


magistrates-014
magistrates-032magistrates-010


And so onto the headliners, and again, I'm not bothered about Black Kids musically - give me metal any day! That said, they were tight on stage, had a fun dynamic about them, and great little spot lights from behind the drum kit that made the stage look like it was covered in stars - classy.


black-kids-028black-kids-004
black-kids-018


I wouldn't be surprised to see Black Kids become pretty famous over here - they have that quirky, indie-pop vibe that has seen other bands do well in the UK. They're the kind of band that could easily appear on Jonathan Ross' or Jools Holland's show sometime soon.


black-kids-023
black-kids-013black-kids-024


One good about both of tonight's bands - they don't move around anywhere near as much as the bands that I normally shoot do! It certainly made my job slightly easier, although the poor lighting was a pain.


black-kids-005black-kids-019
black-kids-026


So, another couple of bands for my portfolio, and only one more gig to go in my marathon three in three days week. I'm not at all keen to listen to either of tonight's bands again in a hurry, but then I doubt many people at the gig would want to listen to any of my bands so it all balances out!


black-kids-002

No comments: