Monday 13 October 2008

Shinedown and Disturbed Rock Birmingham

blog028


Last Friday I was back at the Birmingham Academy to watch the show by Disturbed, and review it for Birmingham Live. However, before all that got underway, I was also there to inteverview the support band, Shinedown, for Powerplay Magazine. The interview went really well, they were top guys, and I was also lucky enough to grab some cool band shots deep in the winding coridoors of the Academy backstage labyrinth. Here's some of my favourites.


blog027
blog026
blog025


And so onto the show. Quite simply, they were superb. Despite the crowd initially seeming like they didn't care, within a few bars of the first song Shinedown had won them over, and found themselves with 3000 new fans. Good effort!


blog043
blog039blog040


Amazingly, Shinedown are about to release their third album, and even more impressive, their first two went platinum and gold in the US! Quite how they've got this far without the UK knowing about them is beyond me, but hey, better late than never!


blog035blog038
blog052


Vocalist Brent Smith has an excellent voice with a hugely impressive range, and he was also a great frontman, whipping the crowd into a frenzy, and talking lots in between songs allowing the band to strike up something of a relationship with their new fans.


blog057
blog044blog051


This was the last date of the band's first proper UK tour, and they're coming back next January with a string of headline shows. I'll certainly be there to catch them.


blog055blog053
blog049


Because they're very nice chaps, you can actually download a free 4 track EP of Shinedown here, and having heard the whole album, I can definitely advise you to do so. This is the crowd going bonkers for them.


blog058
blog029blog031


And so onto the headliners. I used to love Disturbed when I was 16, but I've kind of lost track of them since then, and in my opinion, they never bettered their debut album. That said, they are still a great live band, and frontman David Draiman set the tone by being wheeled on stage in a straight jacket and Hannibal mask - quite metal and very funny!


blog060
blog065blog066


While I'm certainly not their biggest fan, Disturbed did put on a good show, and I'm very pleased to have some decent images of them for my portfolio.


blog070blog079
blog078


This was actually the first time I'd ever seen Disturbed live, and it was worth it just to hear material from 'The Sickness' album - those numbers still sound as awesome as they did when they first came out back in the nu metal days!


blog062
blog073blog076


I love this next shot, his face just says RIFF all over it!


blog074blog061
blog071


I'd not seen the Academy as full as it was on Friday for a long time now - great to see the balcony being used again as it had been empty the last few shows I had been to. It really makes for quite a sight from the photo pit.


blog067
blog072blog063


Draiman's attempt at the YMCA didn't catch on...


blog068blog077
blog075


Anyway, that's it for this post. Another enjoyable show, and lots more pics that I'm happy with. You can't ask for much more than that now can you?


blog030

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heyhey, this was a great gig and yes i was won over by shinedown. i also got one of there drumsticks... \m/.

i also think thatthe best pic you got there is the bottom black and white one cos i am in the middle, with the disturbed T on...

thanks again

www.myspace.com/disturbedscotty